Monday, May 01, 2006

On the Wings of Music

Ever since I was in grade school, I have always loved music. I took pride in the fact that I was the only student in class who took our Music subject seriously. For me, it was a passion. Composers, instruments, and singing fascinated me. While most of my peers directed their efforts into sports, I devoted my activities to improving my musical ability.
During music class, I would sit closest to the piano so that I could hear every single note that the teacher played. I would sing the songs the loudest. I would enter each class enthusiastically, eagerly awaiting new melodies that would be taught to us.
--------------------------------------------------------

In high school, we didn't have any more music classes, much to my disappointment. But we did have the Wednesday Clubs, where we could choose any extra curricular activity that we wanted. I naturally chose to join a club related to music. Three of my four years in high school were spent playing with a Rondalla* 'band'. In those three years, I mastered the art of playing with the different sections of the band (banduria 1 and 2, Octavina, and Bass), although I was really assigned to playing the section that does the counter-melody, the Octavina group. Towards the end, I was given an award for my untiring efforts and dedication to learning to play and mastering all the instruments.
-----------------------------------------------------------

In college, I did not get much chance to continue with my music although I was invited every now and then to play as a guest performer for my high school alma mater. Hence, in order to make music still a part of my life, I joined my hometown Church choir. It was hard work. In addition to my academic schedule, I had to rigorously study the rudiments of music like note reading and solfeggios. I also attended rehearsals four times a week at two and a half hours per session. And, we had to be at the church one hour before the beginning of the Sunday mass to perform physical and vocal exercises. Our mass started at 7am.

The banner year for the group was in 1996, when we ventured out into our world concert tour and pilgrimage. The choir sang and won awards and accolade in different competitions, festivals, and events in over 10 countries in Europe, four states in the United States of America, and two countries in Asia. It was a rewarding experience for me as I got to visit and see the places that I only knew of through photographs.

The choir did not limit itself to singing in church. We conducted regular outreach programs and organized free medical and dental missions for the less fortunate people of our province.

All the hard work proved stimulating, motivating, and extremely rewarding. I never felt tired at all, instead, I found my body and mind relaxing, and I felt my soul being uplifted. Was it because we render service to the church and the community without expecting anything in return? Or because of the 'good feeling' I get when helping someone and seeing the gratitude in that person's eyes? Or because of the tears of joy that we bring to different people in different countries when we begin to sing? Or is it because other youths have come to look at us as a role model to emulate?
--------------------------------------------------------------

Music has helped me develop mentally and socially. I believe that music training has given me a high level of self-discipline and has instilled in me positive values such as punctuality.
During the years of singing, I have met and interacted with different peoples of different countries and cultures. I have come to realize that music truly bridges gaps and breaks down barriers brought about by language, culture, and religion. More importantly, I have gained a broader understanding and perspective of other's beliefs and way of life.
==================
*Rondalla is a general term for a group of string instruments similar to that of the American banjo, only these instruments have 14 strings to be played*

No comments: