Monday, July 14, 2008

Sappy Musings Series 1


Love me - Yiruma


Phel, my good friend has just told me that he and this guy that he has been communicating with for the past month are now officially an item. I have to admit that I received the news with a tinge of envy.

It has been almost four years since my last relationship. Being single was a matter of choice, really, and not of circumstance. I chose to focus on work, family, and the choir. And before I knew it, almost 4 years have passed.

Now that I find myself ready to fall once again, I can't seem to find someone.

Masyadong mataas ang expectations at standards ko? I wouldn't say expectations or standards. I'd prefer to term it as "preferences". Lahat naman tayo may virtual picture of the perfect and ideal person for us. But sometimes, being an idealist isn't that too rewarding. Idealism is almost synonymous to perfection. And no one is perfect.

I guess I am an idealist. That is why I am a hopeless romantic. I dream up scenarios of how the perfect guy would sweep me off my feet one of these days. I dream of grand events that would accompany my falling.

Pero, masama din yung sobrang hopeless romantic. Kasi nagiging hopeless na talaga. May tendency mag-ilusyon about romantic settings, scenarios, and proposals. In the end, disappointed ka lang kasi nga one is living in a fantasy world. Kapag hindi na-meet ang romantic expectations mo, bagsak ka na. Ganyan ako eh. Dapat baguhin ko.

It's the small things that matter. A simple text saying "hi" means that the person thought of you. A simple reminder na "lunchtime na. kain na" means that the person cared enough to send you this reminder. A simple joke or witty statement that made you laugh and made an otherwise crappy day more bearable.

Small things. Full of meaning.

Nag-mu-muni-muni lang ngayong malamig at makulimlim na araw...